This project includes development of an emergency operations plan to address response elements such as authorities, roles and responsibilities, shelter locations, evacuation routes.
A pre-disaster recovery plan and recovery ordinance is also needed and will include information about authorities, roles and responsibilities, resources, and partners – to ensure that the recovery process can begin immediately after a disaster strikes.
The project includes training, exercises, and specialized response equipment. The desired outcome is that the community will effectively respond to and recovery from flooding and future disaster events. First responders in Denham Springs will be trained and equipped to respond quickly to disaster events with external support.
- Develop an Emergency Operations Plan
- Adoption of an updated Emergency Management Ordinance
- Responder Training and Exercises
- Secure additional rescue equipment for responders. This would include vehicles, airboats, and additional specialized equipment.
Possible Funding Sources, Technical Assistance, and Partners:
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (Livingston Parish)
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Livingston Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
- LA Governor’s Office o Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
- U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
- USDA EDEN – The Extension Disaster Education Network
Estimated Timeline: Short term (< 1 year)
Estimated Cost: Moderate (>$100k)